The individual language maps that are displayed on the Ethnologue web site are available for re-use under the following license:
You may print or post copies of the maps and other graphics provided that:
- the copyright and "watermark" are not removed,
- the graphic is not modified,
- no more than three of these graphics are used in any one publication or internet site, and
- they are not displayed on an internet site containing adult or other content objectionable to SIL International.
Any other use requires prior written permission from SIL International.
- You may use the map in a single academic publication (e.g., dissertation, journal article, monograph). For use in another publication, you must obtain a further license.
- You may also incorporate the graphic into the slides for academic presentations that are related to that publication.
- You may not use more than three maps in any single publication without the prior written permission of the publisher (contact: email@example.com).
- You should cite the current edition of the Ethnologue as the source of the map and indicate "Used by permission" for use that conforms to this license.
- You may not redistribute the graphics file in any form, including sharing it via email, displaying it on a public web site, or posting it on an intranet site.
Licensing on any other terms, including preparation of maps in different formats or sizes or resolutions, is treated as a special order. Please contact us for a quote.